Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Super Moon


Super Moon
Originally uploaded by roflute

This past Saturday I was treated to a beautiful full moon. It is called a perigee moon and seemed 14% larger than a normal full moon. That's because the moon was at it's closest point in its orbit around the earth. I was trying to figure out a good place to get a shot of this event and decided on the south shore since the moon would be rising in the east. I ended up at Captree Boat Basin with a few of the Fire Island Lighthouse. There were quite a few other people there with their cameras, families and loved ones. We were all waiting with anticipation.  Pretty soon there was a bit of bright orange on the horizon.  Here comes the moon.  What a big, beautiful orange ball in the sky.  Like the sun but....not.  A couple hours later, I got another pic of the moon a little higher in the sky over my house.  So beautiful. 


Super Moon

No comments: