Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Goose Necklace


Goose Necklace
Originally uploaded by roflute

I went to one of my favorite places for nature photography recently now that most of the snow is all melted. Last Friday was a beautiful day and warmer than it's been in quite some time. Sunken Meadow State Park is a beach on Long Island Sound.  There are plenty of paths to walk and a variety of wildlife. I like to go there after work with my camera to see what kind of birds I find to take pictures of. This day I didn't find many birds; perhaps it is too early yet but there were a pair of mergansers, some red-wing blackbirds and of course, gulls, grackles and canada geese. I noticed some geese in the flock had orange bands on their necks. They don't look very comfortable but the geese didn't seem to be bothered by them. A friend on flickr posted a website where people can post where they've seen the birds with these kind of bands. So, in the interest of science, I posted my observation. I also saw a muskrat and was able to capture some nice cloud pictures. All in all a very good day!

Muskrat

Sun Ray

2 comments:

Artoholic said...

I love my geese with a bit of bling! So funny, and yet quite an important piece of jewellry they are wearing.

I visited Long Island breifly in the summer of 2001 - I remember Montauk so well.

Off to look at more of your stunning photography,

Cheers,

Cindy

Unknown said...

Thanks, Cindy. I'm going to be looking for more of that bling. I have found out this goose is Canadian. She was banded in Quebec back in 2008. Now I really feel pleased that I was able to help out a researcher.